Sunday, June 13, 2010

Thai Fried Rice



I've been making Thai Fried Rice for a while. I had a Thai friend tell me how to make it once a long time ago - throw in some of this and some of that and Voila! I never really had a recipe, but it always comes out really good. I was thumbing through my Thai cookbook, Thai Food and Cooking - one that I hardly open, though I don't know why - and, to my surprise, actually found a recipe. Its almost exactly the same way I used to make it.

Making fried rice is really easy. I decided to make some for dinner tonight because I didn't want to really slave over the stove and wanted to make something quick. What's really great about this recipe is that you can practically use whatever ingredients you have on hand. Just make sure you have the basic seasonings - fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar. My daughter loved this because it had rice and egg, her favorite combination. This was a whole meal in itself, so hubby and I were quite satisfied with this simple dinner.

3 Tbsp. oil
1 small onion, sliced
1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
4 oz chicken (or pork, beef, or shrimp) cut into small cubes
2 eggs, beaten
4 cups cooked rice
2 Tbsp. fish sauce
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. suar
4 green onions, finely sliced (for garnish)
sliced limes (for garnish)
sliced cucumbers (for garnish)

1) Heat oil in a wok or large frying pan. Add onions and garlic and cook for about 2 minutes until softened.

2) Add meat and stir fry until met is cooked through. Add eggs and cook until scrambled into small lumps.

3) Add rice and continue to stir and toss to coat with oil and prevent it from sticking together. Add fish sauce, soy sauce and sugar. Mix well and cook until rice is thoroughly heated.

4) Place rice in a serving platter and garnish with green onions, cucumbers and sliced limes.


No comments: