Monday, October 17, 2011

Chocolate Pumpkin Patch Halloween Cupcakes


I recently came across some pumpkin spice-flavored marshmallows in the shape of pumpkins. I knew my daughter would love them (because she loves anything that is marshmallow) so I bought a bag. The bag had some fun decorating ideas with the use of these pumpkin-shaped marshmallows. Then I strolled into Williams-Sonoma the next day and my daughter wanted me to buy some Halloween sprinkles. With all these festive decorating tools, I thought it would be fun to make Halloween cupcakes with my daughter.

Last year, I made Vanilla Halloween cupcakes and she wasn't much interested in helping me decorate them. This past year, she's shown a great interest in helping me bake and decorate, so she was happy to help out this time around. The bag of marshmallows suggested making a pumpkin patch on the cupcakes using the marshmallows. So I thought a chocolate cupcake base would look cool using my Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Cream Cheese frosting recipe, or any chocolate cupcake recipe. I think they turned out pretty cool. We also used the Halloween sprinkles, which she loved using on the cupcakes.

Pumpkin-Spiced marshmallows
sweetened shredded coconut
green food coloring

1) Prepare chocolate cake recipe according to directions. Line muffin tins with cup and fill with the batter about 3/4 full. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick test comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.

2) Prepare frosting according to directions. Spread frosting on top of cooled cupcakes. Set aside.

3) Place shredded coconut in a small bowl. Add a few drops of green food coloring and stir coconut to distribute the color. Continue adding food coloring until desired shade of green is established. Sprinkle colored coconut on top of frosted cupcake. Arrange 2 pumpkin-spiced marshmallows on top of colored coconut.

No comments: