Thursday, April 28, 2011

Giada's Balsamic Chicken Drumettes



I guess the Neapolitan Layer Cake I made for my daughter's Easter/birthday (that took me two days to make) had wore me out. I've been sick with a cold since then. And I've only been at work for one day. So I've been home most of the week nursing this cold. Its been around 80 degrees here in the San Fernando Valley, but I've been walking around the house bundled up in sweats. This cold has hit me kind of hard. Therefore, not much has happened in my kitchen. Today, I'm feeling a little better that I managed to take my daughter out for a bike ride around the neighborhood in this warm weather. Then the idea of what to make for lunch popped in my head.

I was watching one of Giada de Laurentiis' cooking show on the Food Network over the weekend and she made these delicious looking Balsamic Chicken Drumettes. I've seen this recipe circle around the blogosphere as well. I had all the ingredients it needed, so I decided to make this our quick lunch for today and it came out pretty good. Since this recipe called for honey and sugar, the marinade turned black when it cooked in the oven. So I would probably reduce the temperature a bit so that it doesn't burn. But the flavors blended really well. I think I'll be making this again with some modifications.

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 Tbsp. dried rosemary
5 cloves garlic, crushed
10-12 chicken drumettes
2 Tbsp. toasted sesame seeds
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

1) Preheat oven to 450 deg F. Line a baking sheet with foil.

2) Combine balsamic vinegar, honey, brown sugar, soy sauce, rosemary, and garlic in a freezer bag and blend well. Add chicken and massage the marinade into chicken. Place in the refrigerator and marinate for 2 hours.

3) Place chicken on baking sheet and bake for 30-35 minutes, until skin is caramelized and dark in some spots.

4) Simmer the remaining marinade in a saucepan over medium heat until it thickens like syrup. Brush syrup on cooked chicken. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and top with fresh parsley.

No comments: