Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes



Its my brother's birthday today. Last year, I made him a Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting. This year, I asked him what he wanted me to make for him. He said he didn't have any preference. Well I happen to remember that when I brought over some of my Cookie Dough Truffles a while ago, he had asked if there was a cupcake version of it. I told him that I did find this recipe (from Beantown Baker), but I haven't had a chance to make it yet. I think now was a good time to make his long time request.

This is another recipe for the cookie dough lovers out there like myself. There were 3 components to this cupcake. The cupcake, the cookie dough in the middle, then the frosting. The cookie dough must be made in advance to freeze overnight so that it bakes well the next day. The cupcake and frosting was made on the same day. The cupcake was moist and soft. The flavors of how it came together tasted just like a chocolate chip cookie, so it was really yummy with the burst of cookie dough in the middle. I used the egg-less cookie dough from my Cookie Dough Truffle recipe. In order to achieve that raw cookie dough in the middle, you have to be careful not to over-bake the cupcake, which some of my cupcakes ended up as. But I managed to have a good batch to give my brother. I hope he likes them. Happy Birthday, Bro!

Cupcakes
1 batch egg-less cookie dough, scooped into bite-sized balls and frozen overnight
2 2/3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed
4 eggs

1) Preheat oven to 350 deg F. Line muffin tin with cupcake liners.

2) Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside. Measure out milk and vanilla together. Set aside.

3) Beat butter on high until soft, about 30 seconds. Add brown sugar. Beat on medium-high until fluffy, about 3 minutes.

4) With the mixer on low-medium, add a fourth of the flour mixture into the butter mixture and beat to combine. Add about a third of the milk/vanilla mixture and beat until combined. Repeat, alternating flour and milk and ending with the flour mixture.

5) Using an ice cream scoop, scoop batter into the cupcake liners about half to three quarters full. Place one ball of frozen cookie dough on top of the batter. Do not press dough down at all. Bake for 20-22 minutes until the edges start to turn golden brown. Cool completely before frosting.

Brown Sugar Frosting
3 sticks unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
3 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract

1) Combine butter and brown sugar in a mixing bowl. Cream together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes.

2) With the mixer on low-medium, beat in powdered sugar. Add salt, milk and vanilla extract. Continue beating until smooth and combined.

No comments: