Thursday, July 8, 2010

Skyline Chili



Lebron James of the Cleveland Cavaliers made his big announcement today that he's leaving Ohio to be in Florida (Miami Heat). In honor of the Ohioans losing King James, I decided to make Skyline Chili. Named after Cincinnati, Ohio's skyline, this popular chili is apparently a favorite of the Cincinnati Reds. While I've never been to Cincinnati to have the original, I've heard about this awesome dish from, where else? The Food Network. It looked so good. So I tried looking up a recipe and found this one from allrecipes.com.

Unlike its Texas-style counterpart, this chili is more runny and saucy than a normal chili. And its also normally eaten over a bed of spaghetti pasta, topped with lots of shredded cheddar cheese and chopped onions. I've made this a couple of times before and it definitely goes really well with the pasta. Its almost like a spaghetti sauce with a little kick. And you know how I am with spaghetti. Can't get enough of it. This is a chili dish that I can get addicted to. This recipe made so much chili that I froze most of it for later use.

2 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef (I used ground turkey)
15 oz tomato sauce
8 oz tomato paste
5 Tbsp. chili powder
2 1/2 Tbsp. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. allspice
3 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. white vinegar
1 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. worcestershire sauce
4 cups water

1) Brown meat on stovetop. Place in crockpot. Add all remaining ingredients and mix well. Cook on low for 12 hours or more. Serve on top of cooked spaghetti, top with shredded cheese and chopped onions.

No comments: