Thursday, January 20, 2011

Guava Pound Cake




I've been on a hiatus for about a week because I went back on my Fat Flush Diet. Ick! All the holiday eating from Thanksgiving to New Years has caused me to put on some extra bloat. lol. So I decided to cleanse myself and lose some of what had I gained. Off I went to eat bland food again. Luckily, I was able to lose most of the weight. But, boy, did I miss eating food with flavor.

While on the diet, I practically tortured myself by looking up new, yummy recipes to make as soon as I got off the diet. I found a few recipes that caught my eye, including this Guava Pound Cake recipe from What's Cookin, Chicago?

Every time I opened my refrigerator, the jar of Guava Jelly I made a couple of months ago is sitting in there, staring at me to be used. I can only eat toast and jelly for so long. What else can I use it for? Well, apparently for this great pound cake recipe! I decided to make it tonight, my last night of the diet, because we'll be vising my mother-in-law tomorrow morning and I thought it would be great to bring some to her. She loves anything "guava." The cake came out super-duper moist, almost like it wasn't baked through. So I don't know how people will like a very moist cake. But the flavor was awesome. Tastes just like the islands of Hawaii.

2 sticks unsalted butter
2 cups sugar
1 cup guava paste (I used my guava jelly)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3 cups all-purpose flour
6 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract

1) Preheat oven to 325 deg F. Grease and flour a 10-inch bundt pan or 2 loaf pans and set aside.

2) In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add guava paste and sour cream and mix until well incorporated.

3) Sift baking soda and flour. Add flour mixture into cream mixture, alternating with eggs, beating each egg one at a time. Add vanilla.

4) Pour mixture into prepared pan(s) and bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes until a toothpick test comes out clean.


No comments: