Sunday, July 3, 2011

Fresh Strawberry Pie



This weekend, hubby has been quite busy studying for his state board exam and fixing up the back yard so we can put up the above-the-ground pool for our daughter. We decided to put up the pool so we can have a pool/bbq party for 4th of July with my folks tomorrow.

Fresh strawberries are in abundance out at all the local grocery stores nowadays. Being that it's 4th of July tomorrow, I thought it would be festive to have some bright-red, Fresh Strawberry pie out on display when my family comes over tomorrow. My family and I love fresh strawberry pie and we buy at least one from our local bake shop every summer. The other day, my co-worker, Stacy, introduced me to a new blog and I found this great recipe for Fresh Strawberry Pie from Southern Plate. I've found a few other recipes from blogs I frequent. But the glaze that goes on the fresh strawberries look too thick, almost solid, and didn't look like the pie that I'm used to. This recipe, however, looked like the same consistency as the ones I buy at the bake shop. And it tasted great and easy to make.

1 ready-made pie crust
1 pint fresh strawberries
1 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. strawberry gelatin (do not use sugar-free)
3 heaping Tbsp. cornstarch
1 cup water

1) Bake pie crust according to directions. Set aside and cool completely.

2) In a medium bowl, combine sugar, strawberry gelatin, and cornstarch. Stir until incorporated. In a medium saucepan, add water and stir in gelatin mixture until well combined. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick and clear. Set aside and cool completely.

3) Wash and hull strawberries. Cut strawberries in half and arrange in baked pie crust. When filling has cooled, pour over strawberries. Chill until ready to serve. Serve with whipped cream.

No comments: