Saturday, September 10, 2011

Hot Browns



This is another one of hubby's favorites that came about as an experiment. I was experimenting, at one point, with plain turkey sandwiches. Instead of regular turkey sandwich with the standard tomato, cheese, lettuce, etc., I started playing around with it by adding a fried egg and toasting the bread. Sounds yummy, huh? Then one day, I was watching Throwdown with Bobby Flay on the Food Network and they featured Hot Browns. I had no idea what Hot Browns were. Its an open-faced sandwich of turkey, tomato, and bacon, topped with a white sauce called a Mornay sauce. Its apparently a Southern favorite, and was originally created at the Brown Hotel in Louisville, Kentucky.

I saw this sandwich being made on the throwdown and so I decided to give it a shot and put a twist to my experimented turkey sandwich using my white sauce from my Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe. The end product was a gooey, yummy spin on an old classic that hubby absolutely loves.

slices of sandwich bread (white or wheat), toasted
turkey slices
tomato slices
White Sauce
4 cooked bacon slices

1) Preheat oven (or toaster oven) to broil. For each hot brown, place 2 slices of toast on a baking sheet. Place a liberal amount of turkey slices on top of the toast. Top with with desired amount of tomato slices. Ladle desired amount of white sauce on top of sandwich. Place entire dish under the broiler until sauce is bubbly. Remove from broiler and top with a slice of bacon. Serve hot.

No comments: