Monday, September 12, 2011

Magnolia Bakery Vanilla Cupcakes


I think my pursuit for the perfect Vanilla cupcake recipe has ended here.

I love Vanilla cupcakes. I think I love it more so than a chocolate cupcake. Take me to a cupcake store and I'll most likely choose cupcakes that are vanilla based rather than chocolate based. Don't get me wrong. I still love my fair share of chocolate. But there's something about vanilla cupcake that I can't resist.

I've been looking for the perfect Vanilla cupcake recipe ever since I made them last year for Halloween. I wasn't too happy with that recipe and I vowed to find the recipe that is as close to the ones I get at my favorite cupcake stores. And then I found this recipe from Martha Stewart for the Magnolia Bakery Vanilla Cupcakes. I've had the actual cupcakes from the Magnolia bakery before when my sister-in-law brought some during one of our visits to my mother-in-law. They were so delicious. So you can only imagine the excitement I had when I found this recipe.

These were quite easy to make. However, you need to make sure to not over-fill the cupcake liner with the batter because it will puff up and burn on the sides like they did on mine. But the cupcake tastes just as good as the bakery itself. Light and fluffy cake, sweet and decadent frosting. The perfect combination.

Cupcakes
1 1/2 cup self-rising flour
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup milk
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

1) Preheat oven to 350 deg F. Line muffin tins with paper liners. Set aside.

2) In a large bowl, combine flours together and set aside. In a bowl of an electric stand mixer, cream butter until smooth and creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

3) Add dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with each addition. Beat until ingredients are incorporated, but do not over beat.

4) Using an ice cream scoop, scoop batter into prepared liners about half to 3/4 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick test comes out clean. Rotate pan half way through the baking. Cool for 15 minutes and transfer cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.

Vanilla Buttercream
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
6-8 cups confectioner's sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract

1) In a bowl of an electric stand mixer, combine butter, 4 cups of the confectioner's sugar, milk, and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 3-5 minutes.

2) Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating for about 2 minutes after each addition, until desired consistency. Frost cupcakes and serve at room temperature.

No comments: