Monday, February 6, 2012

Chicken Inasal (Filipino-style BBQ Chicken)


I've been missing the Philippines lately. Missing the families we left behind, missing the laid-back atmosphere, missing the food. I made a vow during my last post to try to replicate some of the great dishes we had during our recent trip. The first dish I wanted to attempt was Chicken Inasal, and the recipe I decided on was from Panlasang Pinoy, my go-to blog for all things Filipino.

Assembling was a cinch, but grilling was pretty tricky because you have to baste the chicken in a butter mixture. And everyone knows (but I happened to have forgotten) that oil and flame do not mix. So I charred some of the chicken. However, I was able to peel off the charred skin (because skin is too fattening anyway. ha!) and ended up with a delicious grilled chicken. Not quite the same as Bacolod Chicken Inasal that I had in the Philippines, but I think it'll do for now.

2 lbs. chicken, cut into serving pieces

Marinade
2 Tbsp. minced ginger
2 Tbsp. minced garlic
3/4 cup chopped lemon grass
1 cup coconut vinegar (or substitute with cider vinegar)
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 Tbsp. salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup lemon-lime soda
1/2 Tbsp. ground black pepper

Basting sauce
3 Tbsp. annatto oil (annatto seeds cooked in oil)
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. lemon juice

1) In a freezer bag or large bowl, combine chicken with all the ingredients for the marinade. Stir or shake ingredients until well incorporated. Allow to marinade in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or up to overnight.

2) When ready, heat grill. While grill is heating, combine ingredients for the basting sauce in a medium bowl. Set aside.

3) Grill chicken while basting with generous amounts of basting sauce. Continue grilling until juices run clear. Serve with steam rice and dip chicken in a mixture of soy sauce and a splash of lemon juice.

No comments: