Saturday, March 17, 2012

Homemade Shamrock Shake


Happy St. Patrick's Day!!! And also, Happy Birthday to our nephew, Vin.

To commemorate this special day, I decided to finally try to make this beloved shake that originated from a beloved fast food restaurant, McDonald's. I remember when I first had my taste of Shamrock Shake a few years ago. It was the end of our work day and one of my co-workers said she was getting ready to get some Shamrock Shake. I asked "What's a Shamrock Shake?" And she looked at me with a disgusted expression and said, "You've never had a Shamrock Shake???" She proceeded to let me know that its a green shake only sold at McDonald's during the month of March in honor of St. Patrick's Day. So on MY way home, I had to stop by McDonald's myself to see what all the hype was about. It was this creamy, minty, yummy goodness. And I was so glad they only sold it for a limited time, because if not, I'd be making pit stops to McDonald's everyday.

Ever since then, I had always kept my eye out for that wonderful green shake every March. And then they began selling them in fewer restaurants. And suddenly they disappeared altogether. I hate being toyed with. Since they practically didn't sell the shake anymore, my taste buds didn't miss it anymore either. Its been a while since I've had a Shamrock Shake. They recently started selling them again in all McDonald's. But I don't have the same enthusiasm for it as I used to. But this recipe was featured in Yahoo News from Shine, and I figured maybe I should try to make it at home. It was a quick and easy and delicious.

3 cups vanilla ice cream
1 3/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp. mint extract
3-6 drops green food coloring
whipped cream, optional

1) Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth. Pour in a glasses and top with whipped cream. Serve immediately.

No comments: