Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Korean Bulgogi Beef



Here's another great recipe for Bulgogi from What's Cookin, Chicago? It looked so yummy that I absolutely had to try it out. I love Korean BBQ, and I think I've made all kinds of different versions of it. From Korean BBQ Short Rib to Crockpot Korean Short Rib. So I guess this is another addition to my Korean BBQ repertoire.

Its been a while since we've eaten at a Korean BBQ restaurant. So I was really excited to make this. This came out so good. I served this wrapped in lettuce leaf and a side of white rice. It tastes just as good as what you'd find at a Korean restaurant. I am definitely making this again.

3 Tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
1 Tbsp. sesame seed, plus more for garnish
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup pear nectar (like Kern's or Jumex)
1 lb. sirloin beef, thinly sliced
1 carrot, julienned
1 green onion, chopped into 1-2 inch length
1/2 medium yellow onion, sliced

1) In a large resealable plastic bag, combine soy sauce, sesame oil, sesame seeds, garlic (fresh and powder), onion powder, salt, black pepper and pear nectar. Add beef and let marinate for 3 hours to overnight.

2) In a large skillet or wok, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Remove meat from marinade and place in hot skillet. Discard marinade. Brown beef on both sides and add carrots, green onions, and yellow onion. Cook until vegetables become tender but maintains a slight crunch. Garnish with more sesame seeds and serve over steamed white rice or lettuce leaves (to wrap like a burrito).



No comments: