Sunday, September 13, 2009

Korean BBQ Short ribs

"I'LL NEVER BUY KOREAN BBQ SAUCE FROM A BOTTLE AGAIN!"

....screams my tastebuds. A couple of posts ago, I made the soup version of this dish and I said that it smelled exactly like the Korean BBQ sauce that I would buy from the store. So I decided to take the flavor of that broth and make it into my newfound homemade Korean BBQ sauce. Mmm-mmm good!

We just got home from a trip to Carlsbad, so we're pretty exhausted, to say the least. But I made this meal in a jiffy, and I didn't even have my bbq grill to cook it. Leave it again to my trusty grill pan to make another delicious meal.

2-3 lbs. boneless short ribs
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
2 tablespoons Korean red chili paste or sambal oelek (optional), plus more for serving
2 tablespoons dark (toasted) sesame oil
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 bunch scallions (white and green parts, separated), thinly sliced

1) Rub 1/4 cup of sugar on the meat. Marinate for at least half an hour.

2)Combine 1/4 cup sugar and the remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour over the prepapred meat and marinate for at least 1 hour.

3) Grill meat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until medium to well done. Serve with rice.

No comments: