Thursday, April 8, 2010

Stuffed peppers


I'm on a roll......3 new recipes in one week! I guess this makes up for not posting last week.

Anyway, I've always wanted to make stuffed bell peppers. I was sifting through my crockpot cookbook and found this one and it looked delicious and easy. So I wanted to give it a try.

This dish was quite tasty and really easy. I thought it would dry out, but it was quite moist. I used ground turkey for this recipe, but you can use any type of ground meat you like. I would probably add a little salt and pepper to the meat mixture for more flavor next time. But other than that, it was still delicious. The original recipe indicates that this serves 4, which means each person gets 2 halves. No way! I'd say this would easily feed more like 6-8 people, depending on how big of an appetite you have. I was able to eat one half of the bell pepper and I was already stuffed.

4 green bell peppers (cored, seeded and cut in half lengthwise)
1 lb. ground turkey or beef
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 package Spanish rice mix
10 oz can condensed tomato soup
28 oz can whole tomatoes

1) Combine ground meat, celery, onion and rice (without the seasoning) until well blended. Divide meat mixture among the bell pepper halves.

2) Pour whole tomatoes and its juices on bottom of crockpot. Arrange prepared bell peppers on top of tomatoes.

3) Combine seasoning for Spanish rice mix and tomato soup until well blended. Pour over bell peppers. Cook on low for 8-10 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours.



No comments: