Thursday, May 5, 2011

Creamy Chicken Taquitos



I admit that even though I prefer making dishes from scratch, I'm still one of those who likes to buy quick meals, such as certain frozen foods. That includes frozen taquitos. I happen to still like eating frozen taquitos, so when I saw this recipe for Creamy Chicken Taquitos from Annie's Eats, I was quite intrigued. And since today is Cinco de Mayo, I thought it would be fitting to make this today.

These came out really well and it won hubby over, who only likes taquitos if its made with flour tortilla. He hates corn tortillas. So I had hubby in mind when I made these. You can also freeze the taquitos after assembling them so you can have a make-ahead-meal. I'll definitely be making these when I want to get my taquito fix.

3 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup salsa
1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. onion powder
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
1-2 green onions, chopped
2 cups cooked shredded chicken
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
10-12 6 inch flour tortillas
cooking spray
salt

1) Preheat oven to 425 deg F. Line baking sheet with a silicone pat or parchment/wax paper.

2) In a large mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, salsa, lime juice, spices, cilantro, green onions, chicken and shredded cheese. Season with salt to taste. Mix thoroughly until well combined.

3) Briefly heat tortillas in microwave to make them soft enough to roll easily, about 20-30 seconds. Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of the filling mixture down the middle of the tortilla. Roll the tortilla up tightly around the filling. Place seam-side down on the baking sheet. Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle with a little salt. Bake for 15-20 minutes until crisp and golden brown. Serve with sour cream and salsa.

* To freeze taquitos before baking, place baking sheet to the freezer and chill for 30-60 minutes. Transfer to a freezer-safe container or plastic bag. To bake from the freezer, add a few minutes to the original baking time, until filling is warmed through. *

No comments: