Monday, May 23, 2011

Kelsey's Chocolate Popcorn Brittle



We were visiting my mother-in-law on Saturday and we were watching "Big Daddy's House" on the Food Network when I saw him make this recipe for Chocolate Popcorn Brittle with Kelsey Nixon of Kelsey's Essentials. I've been looking for another good snack to make and I love fresh caramel corn. Not the kind you get from a bag or a box. I like honest-to-goodness, made-from-scratch caramel corn. I also love Popcornopolis popcorn, but I don't like spending mucho dinero just for popcorn. The recipe looked really easy and I happen to have all the ingredients, so I decided to make it.

I have to say these were "the bomb dot com." Super yummy and I love the contrast of the sweet and the salty from the pretzel. It really is easy to make and I even had my daughter help me drizzle on the chocolate. These are definitely going to be a regular recipe. Especially when we have those lazy weekends where all we do is bum around the house and watch TV and sleep all day.

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
10 cups plain popped popcorn
3/4 cup chocolate chips, melted
3/4 cup white chocolate chips, melted
1 cup crushed pretzels

1) Mix sugar and honey in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-low heat. Simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and mix in peanut butter. Continue to stir until peanut butter is smooth. Stir in vanilla until well incorporated.

2) In a large mixing bowl, pour in popcorn. Pour warm peanut butter mixture over popcorn and stir until completely coated.

3) Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Pour coated popcorn and distribute evenly on baking sheet. Drizzle melted chocolate on top of popcorn, and then drizzle melted white chocolate. Top with crushed pretzels. Allow chocolate to set for about 20 minutes (or place in refrigerator). Once chocolate has set, break up the popcorn into bite-sized pieces and store in an air-tight container until ready to serve.

No comments: