Monday, May 9, 2011

Peanut Butter Snickers Cookies



I'm one of those people who like to stock up on holiday goodies when they go on sale after the holiday. I actually still have some Christmas-themed Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and Hershey kisses in my pantry that I bought after Christmas. Hubby hates that I do this. He says it tempts us to eat chocolate all the time when we're supposed to be watching our calorie intake. But they're great to use in baking, so I like to stock up. And every now and then, we do reward ourselves by eating a couple of pieces whenever we get a sweet tooth. So we don't eat them often, which is why we still have Christmas chocolates. That's a lot of self control to be able to not consume all that chocolate. And I loooove chocolate and have a huge sweet tooth. A deadly combination.

This past Easter, hubby was shocked to see that I bought more chocolates - Snickers to be exact. I assured him, however, that they were going to be used for this Peanut Butter Snicker Cookie recipe I found from Brown Eyed Baker. I decided to finally make them today with my daughter, who's been asking me to bake some cookies with her. Maybe hubby will quit complaining about all the chocolate in the pantry because these cookies were delicious. Dangerously delicious. I couldn't stop eating them. The peanut butter doesn't overpower the overall flavor of the cookie. And they're soft and chewy. Just the way I like them.

1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 cup peanut butter (creamy or chunky)
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 egg
1 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups chopped Snickers (4 regular bars, or 3/4 bag of bite-sized Snickers)
3/4 cup milk chocolate chips

1) Preheat oven to 350 deg F. Line cookie sheet with parchment/wax paper or silicone mat.

2) In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

3) In a bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter and peanut butter on medium speed until fluffy. Slowly add sugars and continue to beat until smooth. Add egg and mix until well combined. Add the milk and vanilla extract and continue mixing until combined.

4) With the mixer on low, add flour mixture and beat until flour disappears. Stir in chopped snickers and chocolate chips.

5) Drop heaping tablespoonfuls of cookie dough on prepared cookie sheet. Slightly flatten the dough with the palm of your hand. Bake for 10-11 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool on baking sheet for 5-10 minutes and then transfer to cooling racks to cool completely. Store in air-tight container at room temperature.


No comments: