Monday, June 15, 2009

Albondigas (Mexican Meatball soup)


Living in L.A. and doing what I do for a living, I get exposed to different cultures and their foods. L.A. is a mecca for Mexican foods. My friends from work and I used to eat at this Mexican buffet restaurant and we would always look forward to eating their meatball soup - Albondigas. So we each researched a recipe and this is what I came up with. I've been in a soup fix lately, especially because my daughter likes to eat soup with rice. So this is what's for dinner tonight.....

1 lb. ground beef (you can also use ground turkey or chicken)
3 Tbsp. uncooked long grain white rice
1/2 cup onion, minced
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. oregano
1 egg
2 quarts chicken broth
1/2 cup onion, diced
1/2 cup celery, sliced
1/2 cup carrots, cut into small cubes
1 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup salsa (medium or mild)
salt to taste

1) For the meatballs: combine the first 8 ingredients and form into 1 inch balls. Refrigerate while preparing the soup.

2) In a stock pot, sautee onions, celery and carrots until onions are opaque. Add salsa and broth and simmer for 10 minutes. Add salt to taste.

3) Bring soup to a boil and carefully place meatballs into soup. Cover and reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Serve in a bowl with a little bit of white rice.

No comments: