Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Chicken Croquettes


I'm not quite sure of the origins of this dish. I see this on American menus and Hispanic menus (mostly Cuban menus). But I remember my Lola making a variation of this when I was a little girl and she made it with fish. So I think about her whenever I make this. You can make this with any kind of meat you like (beef, chicken, fish, turkey, shrimp). This is my husband's favorite. And I found out today that my daughter loves it too.

1/2 cup boneless, skinless chicken, minced (you can also use ground chicken/turkey, or ready-made cooked chicken)
1/4 cup onions, minced
2 tsp. chicken bouillon
2 cups mashed potatoes
1 egg
1 cup milk
2 cups bread crumbs
oil to fry

1) Combine chicken, onions and bouillon. Mix thoroughly. Add mashed potatoes and mix thoroughly.

2) Form chicken mixture into small patties. Combine egg and milk in another bowl. Dip each patty into milk mixture, then coat the patty with bread crumbs. *If your mashed potato is very soft/wet, you can eliminate the milk mixture and just coat the patty with bread crumbs.

3) Pour oil into a frying pan (enough to cover the entire bottom of the pan). Fry patties for 3-4 minutes on each side. Place the croquettes on a paper towel to drain the oil. Serve with tartar sauce.

No comments: