Sunday, January 10, 2010

Chicken and Shrimp Gumbo with Andoullie sausage


I think the first time that I can remember eating Gumbo was at Disneyland last month. I may have had it a while back, but the Blue Bayou's Gumbo at Disneyland has left me a lasting impression. After that meal, I was on a hunt for another great recipe.

My friend Stacy raved about her roommate's Seafood gumbo, so I asked her if she can ask for the recipe for me. But just like a great chef, she did not want to reveal her secret. I don't blame her. There were times when I don't like giving away my recipes either. Except for this blog and a few chosen people. So I guess I was on my own.

I found this recipe and decided to give it a try. It was delicious! I never really liked okra. My mom used to put it in some of her dishes, which I never really cared for. So I could definitely do without all the okra in this gumbo. I think next time, I'll either lessen the amount or eliminate it altogether. Though I think the okra is what gives the dish its texture. This recipe will be great with any kind of shellfish such as crab or lobster. I know it seems like there are a lot of ingredients in this recipe, but it was pretty easy to make. I'll play around with this recipe some more, but I'm definitely making it again. I cut the original recipe in half, because it was too much for just 2 people to eat. I didn't feed it to my daughter because it was a little spicy. Hubby liked it. And just like me, he could do away with the okra.

1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup flour
1 cup chopped bell peppers (I used green bell pepper)
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
12 oz bag of frozen cut okra
1/2 lb. andoullie sausage, sliced
1/2 lb. chicken, cut into small cubes
1/2 lb. shrimp (peeled, deveined)
1 quart chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. oregano
3 Tbsp. gumbo file
a few dashes of Tabasco sauce to your taste
2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups cooked rice

1) Heat oil in a stock pot. Slowly whisk in flour. Stir constantly until the "roux" turns golden brown.

2) Add all the chopped vegetables and stir. Let cook for about 1 minute. Add herbs and seasoning and continue cooking.

3) Slowly add chicken broth, stirring constantly on high heat. Let boil for a few minutes.

4) Add chicken and cook for a few minutes, until it starts to become no longer pink. Add the sausages, shrimp and rice. Continue cooking until the shrimp is done. Serve immediately.


No comments: