Monday, January 18, 2010

Red Velvet Cake Bon-Bons


I got the idea of making bon-bons out of cake from a few websites that I visited. So I decided to make my own versions. Making cake bon-bons is pretty easy. And you don't even have to make the cake from scratch. You can buy any boxed cake mixes to make different varieties of bon bons, but make sure the frosting you use matches the cake. If you decide to make the cake from scratch, you should still use the store-bought frosting so that the bon bons have a longer shelf life.

This Red Velvet cake bon-bon was made out of my red velvet cake recipe. I'm not a chocolatier, so some of the bon-bons aren't so "pretty," but it still tastes awesome. If you're a huge fan of red velvet cake, like my sister is, you'll love this one. My sister ate up most of the batch and is begging me to make more. This was a huge hit when I brought some to my office. One of the guys at work even asked for my recipe so he can try to make it for his girlfriend for Valentine's day. How sweet!

Prepared Red Velvet cake
1 jar of store-bought cream cheese frosting
2 bags of white chocolate chips

1) Make sure the cake is completely cooled. Crumble cake in a large bowl. Mix in frosting until it is well incorporated and the consistency of the mixture is almost like play-doh.

2) Form 2-inch balls out of the mixture. Place cake balls on a pan, lined with wax paper. Refrigerate for at least an hour.

3) Melt white chocolate chips in the microwave for 1 minute. Stir chocolate. Continue to melt chocolate in 30 second increments until the chocolate is smooth.

4) Dip cake balls in white chocolate. Return bon-bons on the wax paper. Cool in the refrigerator until chocolate hardens.

No comments: