Monday, August 22, 2011

Chocolate Sandwich Cookies (Homemade Oreo Cookies)



I rarely buy store-bought cookies any more. When I buy cookies at the supermarket its either those marshmallow cookies dipped in chocolate, or wafer cookies, or Oreos, or some other cookie that you can't really make at home. Oreos, however, are one of those cookies that I have to be in the mood for. But once I'm in the mood for them, watch out. Because if you want some of the Oreo cookies I bought, you better get to them before I do because I'll scarf them down. Fast. Especially if they're the Double-Stuffed Oreos. Especially if they're the Double-Stuffed Mint Oreos. Oh yeah. I often have to pace myself, especially when hubby and I are dieting, because I lose track of how much I eat in a day. Then when hubby reaches in our pantry to find only a few cookies left, I'm in trouble. Where'd all the Oreos go? Maybe the cookie monster ate them. Yeah, cookie monster me.

Then I came across a few recipes for homemade Oreo cookies. Hmmmm, maybe if I make them from scratch, they'll definitely be healthier and easier to eat. So I settled on this recipe from the Brown Eyed Baker. My cookies didn't turn as dark as the actual Oreos themselves. But I think its because I used regular cocoa powder instead of the Dutch-processed cocoa powder that the recipe called for. Honestly, I didn't really know what the difference was to begin with. But now I figured it made a difference in color and taste. These cookies tasted more like a chocolate cake or a chocolate whoopie pie than the cookie we're used to. Which is why I call these Chocolate Sandwich cookies instead. They were still yummy, nonetheless. I loved the filling in this recipe. I'm definitely going to make these again, and next time, probably with dutch-processed cocoa.

Cookie
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder (its best to use dutch-processed cocoa)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 large egg yolk
1 tsp. vanilla extract

1) Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

2) Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add egg yolk and vanilla extract. With the mixer on low, add flour mixture in 3 batches, just until dough forms. Divide dough in half. Form each half into a 6-inch square and wrap with a plastic wrap. Chill for 2-3 hours until firm.

3) Preheat oven to 350 deg F. Grease or line baking sheets with parchment paper.

4) Roll out 1 piece of dough between sheets of parchment paper, 1/8 inch thick. Slide dough onto a large tray and freeze until firm enough to handle, about 10 minutes. Repeat with the remaining dough. (Use scraps of dough to make more cookies, rolling only once).

5) Cut out as many rounds as possible using a round cutter, reserving and chilling scraps. Quickly transfer cookies to prepared baking sheets 1/2 inch apart. Bake until slightly puffed, about 10-12 minutes. Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely before adding filling.

Filling
1/2 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup shortening
2 cups confectioner's sugar, sifted
2 tsp. vanilla extract

1) Cream together butter and shortening at medium speed until combined and smooth. With the mixer on low, slowly add confectioner's sugar and vanilla extract. Increase the speed to high and continue beating for 2-3 minutes until the filling is light and fluffy.

2) Place filling in a piping bag and pipe a heaping tablespoon of filling (more if you like a lot of filling like me) on the flat side of cooled cookie. Top with another cookie and gently press together. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.

1 comment:

Malikala said...

so I was just reminded by one of my coworkers that the use of shortening isn't necessarily "healthy." So proceed with caution. Thanks Bonnie, for reminding me :)