Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Mango Coconut Ice Cream


I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't taken full advantage of my ice cream machine this summer. It was National Ice Cream month last month and I only made one new recipe, Blueberry Pie Ice Cream. Although I have some great new recipes I've bookmarked. Then this recipe popped up on my reader last week from The Novice Chef.

One of my favorite new cheesecakes at the Cheesecake Factory is their Mango Key Lime Cheesecake, made with a coconut macaroon crust. Mmmmmm!!! I haven't lusted for a cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory in a long time and when I had my first bite of this decadent dessert, I was hooked. The flavors blended together so well. This recipe reminded me so much of my new favorite cheesecake. I just had to make it.

The original recipe is a sorbet. But I decided to use the flavors of the original recipe and make it into an ice cream using elements from my Mango Kulfi recipe. It came out to be a rich and creamy, tropical flavored dessert that was so yummy. Love this one.

2 medium ripe mangoes, seeded and chopped
1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
1/2 can light coconut milk
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups heavy whipping cream
sweetened shredded coconut for garnish

1) Place mangoes, lime juice and coconut milk in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Set aside.

2) In a bowl of a electric stand mixer, whip heavy cream with a whisk attachment until it forms stiff peaks. Gently fold in condensed milk just until combined. Fold in coconut mango puree until well combined.

3) Place mixture in ice cream freezer container and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Place ice cream in an air-tight container and freeze for at least 6 hours or overnight. (*NOTE: You may need to freeze mixture into 2 batches). Top with shredded coconut when ready to serve.

No comments: