Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Prawns in Coconut Milk & Crab Fat (Sugpo sa Aligue at Gata)


I stumbled across 80 Breakfasts from Delish. I came to learn that this blog was not really all about breakfast, but also featured Filipino dishes. I've been trying to get back to my roots in trying to cook more Filipino foods, so I really scored when I discovered this new blog.

As I skimmed through the recipes, I found this one that somehow looked familiar. Not something my Lola would make, but more in the realms of what my dad's side of the family would make. I remember my aunts serving crab fat as a side dish when we ate fresh seafood. Or using coconut milk on any dish to make it more rich. Both of which made the food sooooo delicious, but fattening at the same time. With that said, caution must taken when eating this dish as it contains both coconut milk and crab fat. I'm fortunate enough to have several local Filipino stores in the area that sells crab fat. Otherwise I don't know where else I would be able to buy it.

This dish was oh so delicious. It takes me back to the times when all of my dad's side of the family would visit our aunt's for a holiday or a vacation and they would cook all these wonderful foods for our huge family. Its a comforting feeling. However, I decided to have only one serving of this dish. The rest is going to my parents' place for them to try it out. Too much of a good thing can be bad.

2 lbs. fresh shrimp, unpeeled and head on
4 Tbsp. oil
1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 tsp. red chili flakes (more if you like it spicier)
1 cup crab fat (aligue)
1 cup coconut milk (gata)
1-2 Tbsp. fish sauce (according to taste)
juice of half a lemon or 1 whole lime

1) In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Add garlic, ginger and onion. Saute until onions have softened.

2) Add chili flakes and crab fat. Cook, stirring often until the crab fat softens and the oil separates. Stir in coconut milk and continue to cook until well blended. Add lemon/lime juice.

3) Add shrimp into the pan and stir to coat. Adjust seasoning by adding more fish sauce and/or lemon/lime juice to balance the sour and saltiness of the sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes or until shrimps have all turned pink. Remove from heat and serve with steamed white rice.

No comments: