Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Moon Pies


I have never really had moon pies before, but I remember I used to see them being sold in individual packets at the supermarket when I was a kid. I did, however, eat my fair share of mallow-mars. Those were my fave. As I got older, I learned that moon pies were somewhat similar to mallow mars, with the marshmallow filling in between the layer of cookies in the moon pies. Unfortunately, they don't sell moon pies in our area anymore, so I'm left with the regret of not having tasted them. And then I found this recipe, from, once again, the Brown Eyed Baker.

As with any sandwich cookies, these were a multi-step process. Making the cookies, cooling the cookies, making the filling, making the coating, and assembling. But these were so worth the task. I can't believe I've never tried a moon pie before. These were so delicious and I absolutely love the creamy marshmallow filling in the middle. You can bet I'll be making these again.

Cookies
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt

1) With the mixer on medium speed, beat the butter until creamy, about 3 minutes. Add brown sugar and beat on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium and add egg and vanilla extract and beat to combine. Reduce speed to low and slowly add flour and salt. Continue mixing just until a soft dough forms. Divide dough into two, shape into disks, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

2) Preheat oven to 350 deg F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Working with one disk at a time, roll out dough to about 1/8-inch thickness. Cut out the rounds and place on prepared baking sheets about 1/2-inch apart. Refrigerate cookies on the cookie sheet for about 10 minutes.

3) After chilling the cookies, bake for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool on the pans for a few minutes, and then transfer on a cooling rack to cool completely before assembling.

Marshmallow filling
2 egg whites
pinch of cream of tartar
pinch of salt
2/3 cup light corn syrup
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup confectioner's sugar, sifted

1) Using a mixer with a whisk attachment, beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt on medium low speed for about 2 minutes. As the egg whites increase in volume, increase speed to medium high speed and continue beating until firm, stiff peaks form.

2) Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, boil corn syrup over high heat without stirring until temperature reaches 230-235 deg F. Slowly drizzle hot syrup over egg whites and beat at high speed until glossy, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-low and add vanilla extract and confectioner's sugar.

3) Using a piping bag or spoon, mound about 1 1/2 tablespoonful of the filling into the center of a cookie. Top with another cookie and press lightly to spread filling to the edges. Add another mound of filling on top of the second cookie and top with another cookie, again pressing lightly to spread filling to the edges. Repeat with the rest of the cookies.

Chocolate coating
12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
1/4 cup vegetable oil

1) Using a double boiler or microwave (on 30 second increments), melt chocolate and vegetable oil together until completely smooth. Place assembled cookies on a wire rack set over wax paper or rimmed baking sheet. Spoon melted chocolate over each cookie so that it runs down the sides and covers most of the cookie. Allow the chocolate to set at room temperature for about 2 hours, or refrigerate to speed up the process. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.

2 comments:

happy hour 24/7 said...

you really make the rest of us look bad!! LOL j/k
i know how to cook, in fact, many say the food actually taste good. it's just not one of my favorite things to do. i think i found myself cooking more when i lived with steve. your food photos always make me smile, hungry and gain extra pounds! it's all worth it though :)

Malikala said...

Thanks sis. I'm trying to improve on my food photography so it looks more appealing for people to want to actually try doing the recipe :) Yes, I remember you telling me how you and Steve used to cook a lot. From the sound of it, your food was yummy. You have to share some recipes with me.