Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Lemon Chess Pie



I found this recipe a while ago while skimming the web for more great recipe ideas from Southern Plate sometime last year. I've been fixated on Southern desserts lately after attempting my version of a Caramel Cake. And since I had a few extra lemons from my parents' tree, I decided to make another classic Southern dessert.

This pie is reminiscent of lemon bars, but the filling is a little more custardy. It only consists of 5 ingredients. So simple and so yummy.

1 (9 inch) frozen pie crust
1 cup sugar
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 eggs, separated
zest and juice of 3 lemons

1) Bake pie crust according just until it turns golden brown. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350 deg F.

2) Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add egg yolks and continue to beat until incorporated. Add lemon zest and lemon juice and beat well.

3) In a separate clean bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold egg whites into lemon mixture until well incorporated. Pour into prepared pie crust. Bake for 25-30 minutes until set.  

No comments: