Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Salted Caramel Sauce


I've been meaning to search for other great recipes to use my Fleur de Sel, because I absolutely love that sweet and savory flavor. My daughter love, love, loves brownies. And I came across a brownie recipe (more on that on my next blog post) using Fleur de Sel in Caramel Sauce from Beantown Baker.

I've been making Salted Caramel Sauce a lot more frequently, but I've never really added it on this blog. Because I had planned on making brownies with caramel sauce, I decided to make some again. This sauce can be stored up to a month in the refrigerator and can be used in just about anything from ice cream, pies, brownies, or just eaten by the spoonful. Which is my favorite way of consuming :)

1 cup water
2 cups sugar
1 cup heavy cream
2 Tbsp. cold unsalted butter
1 tsp. Fleur de Sel

1) Add water in a saucepan. Gently add sugar into the middle of the pan. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.

2) Once mixture begins to boil, place a candy thermometer into saucepan. Continue cooking mixture until temperature reaches 300 deg F and mixture just begins to change color, about 15-20 minutes. 

3) Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook until temperature reaches 350 deg F and syrup is amber in color. 

4) While syrup is cooking, heat cream in a microwave or in a saucepan until it begins to simmer. When syrup is ready, remove from heat and carefully pour 1/4 cup of warm cream. Mixture will bubble furiously. Once bubbling subsides, add remaining cream. Once bubbling stops, whisk to fully incorporate. Add fleur de sel and butter and whisk until combined. Refrigerate up to 1 month.

No comments: