Sunday, April 22, 2012

Chewy Sugar cookies

My daughter's birthday is fast approaching. I cannot believe she'll be 4 soon. boohoo! Anyway, we're planning a party for her next weekend with all kinds of activities. Including an Ice Cream Sandwich Bar. At first, I had the plan of ordering the ice cream sandwiches for the party. So I went to a couple of places that specialized in build-your-own ice cream sandwiches so I can try them out. But I had this crazy idea to do something similar at home using my own home-baked cookies. What a fun idea for all the guests to build their own ice cream sandwiches. I would definitely serve my Big Fat Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies and Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies. But I also wanted a neutral cookie and I figured Sugar Cookies would be a yummy neutral flavored cookie. A quick search lead me to this recipe from All Recipes.

I modified the recipe based on the reviews of the recipe. But it was a pretty easy and the cookies turned out really good. Crunchy around the edges. Soft and chewy in the center. Perfect to go with ice cream. I'm sure everyone will enjoy these. I'll post all about it after the party.

2 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup decorating sugar

1) In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and salt.

2) Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla extract. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Gradually add dry ingredients and continue beating just until incorporated. Chill dough for at least 30 minutes.

3) Preheat oven to 350 deg F. Roll dough into walnut-sized balls. Roll dough balls in decorating sugar and then place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten dough balls slightly.

4) Bake for 8-10 minutes until slightly browned around the edges. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Place cookies on wire rack to cool completely.

No comments: