Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Tiramisu


We had our Thanksgiving potluck at work today and I volunteered to cook the turkey that my boss had brought in. I fried it up at my dad's house. I also volunteered to make my famous Tiramisu. I say "famous" because I used to be known for my Tiramisu. I used to make it so often, that I've somewhat already memorized the recipe. Its a good thing I've memorized it, because I couldn't find the written recipe anywhere. Anyway, I haven't made it in a long time (maybe even for a couple of years) and have been dying to make it again. Its such an elegant (yet very easy) dessert that I haven't found the right occasion to make it. And when the subject of our Thanksgiving potluck came, I thought it was perfect timing. Mmmmm, how I've missed my Tiramisu.

My deep fried turkey and Tiramisu were huge hits. Luckily, I made two batches of the Tiramisu. One batch was left at home so I can take a nice picture for this post. This is what the batch I made for work looked like

I'll post my deep fried turkey recipe when I cook it for Thanksgiving.

6 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
1 - 8 oz package Mascarpone cheese
1 - 8 oz package whipped cream
3/4 cup prepared strong coffee (3/4 cup water with 4 tsp. of instant coffee)
2 Tbsp. rum
3 - 3 oz packages of soft lady fingers
cocoa powder for garnish

1) In a double boiler pan, beat egg yolks and sugar on high speed with an electric mixer until mixture turns into a lemon custard color (about 3 minutes).

2) Place the pan over boiling water and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring constantly. Cool slightly.

3) Beat mascarpone cheese into the egg mixture until well incorporated. Fold in whipped cream until well incorporated.

4) Combine prepared coffee and rum. Generously brush lady fingers with the coffee mixture. Layer the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan with the soaked lady fingers. Evenly spread the egg mixture over the lady fingers. Place another layer lady fingers and top another layer of egg mixture. Garnish with cocoa powder. Refrigerate before serving.

No comments: