Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Vietnamese-style Grilled Steak Wraps


I love eating different kinds of Asian dishes. Chinese, Thai, Korean, Vietnamese. I love them all. I've attempted to make the Vietnamese Pho before, but decided to leave that up to the pros to do. It came out pretty good, but of course the restaurants do them better. I found this dish in one of my cookbooks and made it a while ago. Since hubby and I are off today, I decided to make this for lunch again today. Its been a while since I've made it, and boy have I missed it. The sweetness of the sauce and the savory of the beef makes it a perfect combination. MMMM!

1 lb. beef top round strips
Grated peel and juice of 2 lemons
6 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. dark sesame oil
1 1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup rice vinegar (or you can use sherry wine)
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
6 flour tortillas (soft taco size)
6 romaine lettuce leaves
1/3 cup fresh mint leaves
1/3 cup cilantro leaves

1) Combine lemon peel, juice, 2 Tbsp. sugar, sesam oil, 1 tsp. salt and black pepper in a medium bowl. Add beef and toss to coat well. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.

2) Combine water, vinegar, the remaining 4 Tbsp. sugar and 1/4 tsp. salt in a saucepan. Bring to boil. Boil for 5 minutes without stirring until it becomes syrupy. Stir in crushed red pepper. Set aside.

3) Remove beef rom marinade. Discard all liquid. Thread beef onto wooden skewers (soak skewers in hot water for 30 minutes). Grill beef for 3 minutes on each side until cooked through.

4) Grill tortillas. Place lettuce, cooked beef, mint and cilantro on tortillas. Drizzle vinegar sauce. Roll tortillas to enclose filling and serve.

No comments: