Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Argentinian Chimichurri sauce


I LOVE Argentine food. Especially the chimichurri sauce. I learned about this delicious sauce almost 10 years ago, when I would go to lunch with some of my co workers at an Argentine restaurant. They always served complimentary crusty, french bread to dip into their house chimichurri sauce. I always seem to fill up on the bread and sauce, that I can never finish my delicious main course. Anyway, I haven't been to that Argentine restaurant in a while, and I used to crave Chimichurri sauce, so I searched for the recipe and found so many different versions. And so I came up with this one and have been making it ever since. I have fresh parsley and oregano growing like crazy in my herb garden, so this is definitely a great recipe for them. This is a great marinade for chicken, pork or beef, and its definitely a great dip for bread or empanadas.

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup water
2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (1 tsp. if you like it spicy)
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. fresh oregano leaves, chopped
1/2 tsp. ground pepper

Combine all ingredients in a glass jar with a tight fitting lid. Let stand at room temperature for 24 hours


No comments: