Monday, March 28, 2011

Big, Fat, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies



I've never made chocolate chip cookies from scratch. I may have attempted to a while ago, but I just felt that it was easier to buy the ready-made cookie dough at the supermarket. I love chocolate chip cookies. I love chocolate chip cookie dough even more. So I always buy the large tub from Costco and never felt the need to make them from scratch. Until I came across this Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe from Sing for your Supper... Its originally called the Big, Fat, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies. This recipe has made its way all over the blogosphere. I've seen it in quite a few other blogs and I wanted to see what the hype was all about.

I happened to have bags and bags of chocolate chips that I bought from a local Cost Plus World Market that was closing. So I figured I should start using them before they go bad. This was the perfect recipe for them. And just like its name, these were big, fat and chewy chocolate chip cookies. Just the way I like them. I always love eating chocolate chip cookies when they're soft and chewy. Almost like they're only half baked. Perfect with a glass of milk. My daughter couldn't wait to dig into them. And neither could I.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

1) Preheat oven to 325 deg F. Line cookie sheets with wax or parchment paper. Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

2) In a medium bowl or mixer bowl, cream together melted butter, brown sugar and sugar until well blended. Beat in vanilla, egg and egg yolk until light and creamy. Mix in sifted ingredients until just blended. Stir in chocolate chips by hand using a wooden spoon or spatula. Drop cookie dough by the tablespoonful or by using a mini ice cream scoop onto prepared cookie sheets. Cookies should be about 3 inches apart.

3) Bake 15-17 minutes or until edges are lightly golden. Cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack to completely cool.

No comments: