Sunday, September 27, 2009

Blondies

I've never had Blondies before making this. I saw this on a menu at a restaurant once and thought it looked really good. I didn't want to be adventurous that time, so I opted to order another dessert. Then I would watch cooking shows where Blondies were being made, and it made me curious to try to find a recipe to make it. Blondies is a close cousin to the Brownies. The difference is the use of brown sugar and no chocolate. This recipe, though, uses white chocolate chips. I found this recipe at one of those copycat recipe websites. Its a version of Applebee's Blondie and calls for Maple Butter sauce. I still have some maple syrup and maple butter leftover from our trip to Canada a couple of months ago. So I used it to top my blondie. mmmmmm!

1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup white chocolate chips

Maple butter sauce
3/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup butter
3/4 brown sugar

1) Preheat oven to 30 deg. F. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix in walnuts and set aside.

2) In a large bowl, combine melted butter and brown sugar. Add egg and vanilla extract and mix well. Add flour mixture, adding a little at a time. Stir in white chocolate chips. Pour mixture in a 9 inch square pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.

3) Combine maple syrup and butter. Cook over low heat until butter is melted. Stir in brown sugar and cook until brown sugar dissolves. Pour warm syrup over warm blondie and serve with ice cream.

No comments: