Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Crockpot Creole Chicken and Shrimp


HAPPY 50TH POST TO ME!!! I can't believe in 3 months, I've made so many different kinds of dishes and have been able to share all my culinary experiences on here.

This is another crockpot recipe I found recently that looked pretty easy and tasty. I've always been interested in the taste of creole food. Up until now, I only know of Jambalaya and Gumbo. I'm still planning on trying to make those one day. When I came across this recipe and saw how easy it looked, I had to try it for dinner tonight since Hubby is out late for school. This dish almost reminds me of my Paella with a little more kick to it. It tasted really good and hubby really liked it. So this will be a recipe that I'll definitely keep using. The recipe called for cooking it for 6 hours, and we all know that I'm out of the house for about 12 hours. And from past experiences, cooking chicken in the crockpot for 12 hours will cause the chicken to turn dry. Luckily, hubby was able to stop by the house in the middle of the day to plug the crockpot in and I was able to come home to the smell of dinner in the air. yummy!

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken (cut up into 1 inch pieces)
1 1/2 cup chicken broth
1 (14.5 oz) can of diced tomato (and its juices)
8 ounces polska kielbasa, sliced
1/2 cup diced cooked ham
1 cup chopped onion
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 tsp. Creole seasoning
a few dashes of hot sauce to your taste
1 lb. shrimp (peeled and deveined)
2 cups instant rice
1 cup chopped bell pepper

1) Combine all ingredients except the rice, shrimp and bell pepper in the crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.

2) At the last 15 minutes of cooking, add shrimp, rice and bell pepper. Cook until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.

No comments: