Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Crockpot Korean BBQ-style soup

One of my favorite type of BBQ is Korean BBQ. I especially love the experience of eating at Korean restaurants and cooking my own meats at their tabletop grills. Unfortunately, you leave the restaurant smelling like BBQ. And because of that, my family doesn't like going to Korean restaurants too often. So I try to make Korean BBQ at home on the grill using the bottled BBQ sauce that I buy at the refrigerated cases sold at Korean markets. I came across this recipe and when I tried it out, the sauce smelled exactly like the Korean BBQ I'm used to. And since its a crockpot version, I decided to try it out for dinner tonight. The broth came out a little too sweet, so I would definitely cut the sugar to less than 1/4 cup. I would also double up on the liquids because a lot of it evaporates. Otherwise, this was super delicious and my daughter loved it. She loves any kind of noodles, so she ate a lot of this soup. I'm definitely making this again.

Soup:
2-3 lbs. boneless short ribs, cut into cubes
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
2 tablespoons Korean red chili paste or sambal oelek (optional), plus more for serving
2 tablespoons dark (toasted) sesame oil
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 bunch scallions (white and green parts, separated), thinly sliced

Noodles and Garnishes:
10 to 12 ounces medium-thick rice noodles (I used pad thai noodles)
1 carrot, finely grated
1/2 cup cilantro leaves, torn
2 limes, cut into wedges

1) Place the ribs in the slow cooker. Whisk together the broth, soy, sugar, ginger, chili paste, sesame oil, garlic, and scallion whites. Pour over the ribs. Cover and cook 6-8 hours.

2) About 30 minutes before serving, put the rice noodles in a bowl with boiling water to cover. Soak until tender and pliable, about 10-20 minutes. Skim any fat that may collect on top of the beef broth and discard.

4) Divide the noodles among bowls and ladle the broth over top. Divide the meat evenly among the bowls. Garnish as desired with the carrots, cilantro, lime and the remaining green parts of the scallion and more chili paste, if desired.

No comments: