Monday, June 14, 2010

Cheeseburger bread



I found this recipe from another blog I visited, Telly's Tasty Tidbits, that I wanted to try out. I made my stuffed burger for lunch yesterday, but I guess I used the wrong hamburger patties so it didn't taste quite as good as I had first made it. To redeem myself to hubby, I wanted to make up for it by trying this recipe.

This came out really good. It reminds me of an empanada with a softer dough. The original recipe called for bacon, but I didn't have it on hand, so it was omitted from this recipe. Hubby and daughter liked it. I'll definitely be making this again as a quick meal.

1 lb pizza dough (which equals to about 2 tubes of refrigerated pizza dough)
3/4 cup ground beef (or ground turkey)
a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
2 Tbsp. pickled relish
salt & pepper to taste

1) Preheat oven to 400 deg. F.

2) In a large skillet, cook ground meat with a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce over medium heat until meat is cooked through. Add the tomatoes and continue cooking for about 1 minute. Drain and remove to a large bowl.

3) In the same skillet, add onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add to bowl with meat mixture. Add pickled relish, cheese, and salt & pepper to taste. Mix until well incorporated.

4) Roll dough into a large rectangle and cover with meat mixture. Roll dough (starting with the long side) to make a loaf, pinching seams together. Bake, seam-side down, on a baking sheet for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before slicing.

No comments: