Thursday, June 10, 2010

Salsa Verde Sour Cream Enchiladas


My daughter and I are house/dog sitting for my parents for the next 4 days because they're in Hawaii with my siblings. Hubby drops us off at their house in the morning before he goes to work, and then comes back for us after work. We have dinner, then we head home. Although I used to live in this house, its just feels weird cooking outside of my own kitchen. I don't know where everything is kept anymore.

Today's dinner was planned last night. Meaning I packed my own ingredients to make at my parents house. I found this recipe from another blog I visit, Sing for your supper. This dish was really yummy. Hubby says its restaurant quality. It was pretty easy to make. I used store-bought rotisserie chicken to eliminate the cooking process of the chicken. I also omitted the Jalapeno that it calls for because I didn't want it to be too spicy for my daughter. This is another great make-ahead-meal.

4 boneless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (or use store-bought rotisserie chicken)
2 Tbsp. butter
3 large cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 Jalapeno, seeded and minced (optional)
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups sour cream
16 oz jar Medium Salsa Verde
1 1/2 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. white pepper (I used black pepper, its all I have)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
10-12 flour tortillas, small fajita size
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

1) Preheat oven to 350 deg F. Melt butter over medium-high heat. Saute onions (and Jalapenos if using) until soft. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in flour and let cook 1-2 minutes. Whisk in chicken broth until smooth and let cook until bubbly.

2) Stir in sour cream, salsa, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, garlic powder and cilantro until sauce is smooth. Remove from heat.

3) Grease a 9x13 baking dish. Add 1 cup of sauce to the bottom of the pan. Place chicken and cheese on center of each tortilla and roll, placing seam-side down in the dish. Pour sauce over the enchiladas. Top with leftover cheese and bake for 25 minutes or until top is brown and bubbling.



No comments: