Thursday, June 17, 2010

Chicken Satay with Peanut sauce


Hubby introduced me to Thai food from our now-favorite Thai restaurant, Original Thai BBQ, when we first started dating almost 15 years ago. Not only did I fall in love with him, but I also fell in love with Thai food. Especially Satay. Whenever we order from them, we almost always order the same thing: S1 (BBQ Chicken plate), S8 (Beef or Chicken Satay plate), and Pad Thai or Pad See Ewe. I've learned how to make almost half of these items and so I was happy to find this easy Satay recipe in my Thai cookbook.

I knew I made a huge mistake by not using this awesome cookbook sooner. I've been on a Thai food kick lately since re-discovering this cookbook. And tonight, I was craving Satay. This turned out deliciously and hubby actually compared it to our favorite S8 plate. He says he felt like he was eating an S8 plate.

4 skinless boneless chicken
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 inch piece ginger root, finely grated
2 tsp. fish sauce
2 Tbsp. light soy sauce
1 Tbsp. honey
16 wooden skewers
Peanut sauce (recipe below)

1) Cut chicken into long strips. Place in a large bowl. In a small bowl, combine garlic, ginger, fish sauce, soy sauce and honey until well incorporated. Pour over chicken and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. While marinating, soak skewers in water (this will help so the sticks will not burn on the grill)

2) Thread chicken strips on skewers. Grill for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cooked through. Serve immediately with Peanut sauce.

Peanut sauce
6 Tbsp. crunchy peanut butter
1 fresh thai chili, seeded and finely chopped
juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup coconut milk
salt to taste

Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Adjust taste by adding more salt or lime juice.


No comments: