Monday, June 28, 2010

Brown Sugar cupcake



I love buying my favorite, Brown Sugar Cinnamon cupcake, from my favorite cupcake store, Yummy Cupcakes. So I was really excited to find this recipe from one of my favorite blogs, Tiny Tyrant's Kitchen. I've bookmarked this recipe for a while now and I wanted to give it a try, in the thoughts of hopefully making it for our 4th of July Tailgate this coming weekend. I guess this was my trial run. I topped this cupcake with the Brown Sugar Cream Cheese frosting from her Red Velvet cupcake recipe. I modified the frosting by adding cinnamon, though I know she also has a Cinnamon Cream cheese frosting.

Anyway, the overall cupcake was delicious. One problem I had was that I didn't know how to decorate. I bought some plastic frosting tips at the supermarket and used a plastic sandwich bag to pipe in the frosting. That was messy. So I decided to use the good 'ol fashion knife to spread the frosting. Another problem I encountered was the fact that the weather was a little warm, which made the frosting a little too soft. So I had to refrigerate the frosting every now and then so that it would firm up. When I tried making this again, I finally bought the right piping bags and frosting tips and it made such a big difference. My cupcakes not only tasted yummy, but it looked so good too!

Cupcake
1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
3/4 cup light brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Frosting
1 stick butter, at room temperature
8 0z package cream cheese, at room temperature
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
pinch of salt
4 cups powdered sugar
2-4 Tbsp. milk

1) Preheat oven to 350 deg. F. Line muffin tin with muffin cups.

2) In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking sugar and salt. Set aside. Measure out milk and vanilla extract. Set aside

3) In a large bowl, beat together butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes. Add eggs and beat well.

4) Add 1/3 of the flour mixture into butter mixture and beat to combine. Alternately add milk then flour mixture and beat well. Pour batter in prepared muffin cups using an ice cream scoop. Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden brown and toothpick test comes out clean. Cool completely.

5) To make the frosting: Whip together butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Add brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and salt and continue to mix until well blended. Add powdered sugar a little at a time until well incorporated. If mixture is a little too stiff, add milk, one tablespoon at a time to achieve desired consistency. Spread over cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle a little cinnamon on top.



No comments: