Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Thai Stir Fried Beef in Oyster Sauce


I'm definitely in a Thai food kick. This is recipe #4 from my Thai cookbook. I had bookmarked this recipe last week and decided to make it today for dinner. This recipe was quite simple to make and very flavorful. It calls for different kinds of Asian mushrooms that I've never cooked with before (but loved it in Chinese dishes when we eat out). I love mushrooms so I was excited to find them at my local Filipino store. They only had the straw mushroom, so its all I used in this dish. The meat was a little tougher than I'd like it to be. But all my Asian beef dishes are. I still have to find out what the secret is to making tender beef for making Asian dishes like Beef and Brocolli and this Beef in Oyster Sauce. This dish was otherwise quite good and easy to whip up.

1 lb. beef round steak, cut into strips
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
3 Tbsp. oil
1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
1 Tbsp. chopped ginger
3 cups mixed mushrooms (such as straw, shitaake, or oyster mushrooms)
2 Tbsp. oyster sauce
1/2 tsp. sugar
black pepper to taste
4 spring onions, sliced
1-2 Thai Chili, sliced (optional)


1) In a medium bowl, combine cornstarch and soy sauce and stir until well incorporated. Add beef strips and mix well. Marinate for at least 30 minutes.

2) Heat 1 1/2 Tbsp. oil in a wok or large frying pan on medium-high heat. Add garlic and ginger and cook until it becomes fragrant. Add marinated beef, stirring frequently to separate the pieces. Cook until all sides of beef is browned. Remove from heat.

3) In the same pan, heat the remaining oil. Add mushrooms and cook for about 1 minute. Add oyster sauce, black pepper and sugar and stir until well incorporated. Add cooked beef and spring onions. Cook for another 2-3 minutes. Serve on a platter, topped with Thai chilli, if using.

No comments: