Monday, August 31, 2009

Chicken Lu'au

Hubby received a Hawaiian cookbook, Best of the Best from Hawaii cookbook, a couple of years ago from friends of ours who went to Hawaii. They knew how much we loved Hawaii and how much I loved to cook. Their only request was for me to cook something for them out of the cookbook. I have yet to cook for them, but I have tried a few of the recipes, like the Chicken Lu'au. There were 3 versions of Chicken Lu'au. I figured Chicken Lu'au was a popular dish, so I decided to try it. This version seemed quite salty. And I realized that there might've been a typo when it asked for 1 1/2 Tablespoon of salt. At first, I thought Hawaiian food is usually salty. But then I saw the other version of Chicken Lu'au, and they each called for 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt. So I've changed the recipe on here so I won't make that mistake again.

2 lbs. chicken pieces
4 Tbsp. butter
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups water
salt and pepper to taste
3 lbs. fresh spinach, washed
3 cups coconut milk

1) Melt butter in a stock pot on medium heat. Brown chicken in butter. Add water and salt and simmer until chicken is tender.

2) Remove chicken from broth. Add salt and pepper to further season the broth. Add spinach and cock on low until tender.

3) Add 2 cups of warm coconut milk and simmer for 2 minutes. Return chicken in broth and cook for another minute.

4) Transfer in a serving dish and pour remaining coconut milk over the chicken. Serve with rice.

No comments: