Monday, July 6, 2009

Chicken and Pork Adobo


There are only a few filipino dishes I can make from scratch without using the powdered stuff I normally buy from the filipino market. Adobo is one of them. You're not filipino if you don't know how to make adobo. So I had to practice the art of making adobo. My dad would just tell me to add soy sauce and vinegar and garlic "and that's it!" he says. Without providing measurements. I've played around with this recipe a lot. Its a work in progress, but its still pretty good. Adobo is one of the most popular dishes that non-filipinos like to eat. A lot of my non-filipino friends always ask me to make this. Its a typical and simple filipino dish. Not too many people eat pork, so you can eliminate it and double up on the chicken (and vice versa).


1 lb. pork meat (cut into large cubes)
1 lb. chicken wings and drumsticks
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup white vinegar
2 tsp. whole peppercorn
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 bay leaf
2 clove garlic, crushed

1) Combine soy sauce, vinegar, peppercorns, and brown sugar. Pour sauce over the meat. Tuck in the bay leaf and garlic cloves. Marinate at least one hour.

2) Pour entire mixture in a stock pot. Cook on medium to low for 30-40 minutes, or until liquid almost completely evaporates. Remove bay leaf and serve over steamed white rice.

No comments: