Saturday, July 4, 2009

Slow cooker BBQ Pulled Pork sandwich


Happy 4th of July everyone! I wanted to do a BBQ today, which is what I normally like to do for the 4th of July. But our BBQ grill has still been out of commission. And I still want to have some type of BBQ. So leave it to my trusty crockpot to save the day. We'll be watching some fireworks tonight, and I didn't want too much to clean up after lunch, so I slow cooked the pork overnight and prepared it with the BBQ sauce right before lunch. I served this with coleslaw on top and washed it all down with some Hawaiian Iced tea.

Dry rub
2 Tbsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp. chili powder
2 Tbsp. ground cumin
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. dried oregano
4 Tbsp. paprika
2 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. sugar

4 lb. pork butt
1/2 cup water
liquid smoke (optional)
2 cups BBQ sauce

1) Mix all the dry rub ingredients in a bowl.

2) Massage dry rub onto meat. Cover meat and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.

3) Place roast in slow cooker. Pour water and a splash of liquid smoke on the bottom of the slow cooker pot. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.

4) Remove roast from the pot and discard the liquid. Shred the meat with forks. Return the shredded meat into pot and toss in the bbq sauce. Heat on low for another hour. Serve on toasted buns with extra BBQ sauce.

No comments: