Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Peach Cobbler

I didn't really cook dinner tonight because we had so many leftovers that I had to kind of clean out the fridge. But we had so many peaches that were starting to bruise, so I had to do something with them. I've been wanting to make a peach cobbler for a while now, so I asked a couple of my friends from work if they had a really good recipe. I got 2 recipes. Tonight, I tried my friend, Felicia's recipe. She lives in Texas now, but I remember her bringing a peach cobbler to work that her mom had made. Mom's recipes are always the best. I'm not sure if I had a chance to try it when she brought it, but I wanted to try to make it, so she was kind enough to email me her recipe. Thanks Felicia! I used the dough in this recipe, although she said I can also use store bought pie crust. I'll try that next time. This one tasted really good. I may have added a little more sugar than the recipe called for, because she said to keep adding sugar to my taste. And I have a bad sweet tooth. Next time, I'll stick to the recipe when it comes to sugar. I'll have to do the other peach cobbler recipe when I go back on my next Costco trip to buy peaches.

1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
4 cups sliced fresh peaches (6 medium)
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 cup all purpose flour
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. cold butter
1/2 cup milk
1 Tbsp. sugar for topping

1) Pre heat oven to 400 degrees F.

2) In a saucepan, mix together sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon. Stir in peaches and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes until mixture thickens and boils. Stir constantly. Keep mixture in very low heat until dough is done.

3) In a medium bowl, mix flour, 1 Tbsp. sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut butter into mixture until it becomes crumbly. Stir in milk.

4) Pour peach mixture into a casserole. Drop dough by spoonfuls on top of hot peaches. Sprinkle 2 Tbsp. of sugar over dough. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Serve with ice cream.

No comments: