Monday, July 27, 2009

Fresh Peach Ice Cream


I've come to learn that my daughter LOVES peaches. So we've been buying loads of different kinds - peaches, white peaches, nectarines, white nectarines. We also love peach ice cream, so I decided to look up a recipe. A lot of the peach ice cream recipes out there calls for eggs in the recipe to make it a custard. I've never had luck when making a custard ice cream. It never seems to come out smooth. But I found this recipe from www.fruitfromwashington.com that doesn't require eggs. I've cut the recipe in half because it wouldn't fit in my ice cream maker. Its real simple to make. One thing I have to say though, is, ice cream makers can be pretty tricky. If your ice isn't "cold" enough (if that's even possible), the mixture won't churn well. It happened to me with this recipe, but I simply ran the ice cream machine again with more ice than water that the manufacturer's instructions called for.

6 ripe medium peaches (or nectarines), peeled, pitted and pureed
1/2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 cup sugar
3 cups chilled heavy cream
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. almond extract (optional)

1) Chill freezer container. Combine pureed peaches, lemon juice and sugar. Let sit for 15-20 minutes.

2) Combine remaining ingredients and add to peach mixture and mix thoroughly. Pour mixture into chilled freezer container two-thirds full. Place in ice cream maker and run according to manufacturer's instructions for 40-50 minutes, or until mixture starts to firm up.

3) Pour mixture in a container with a tight fitting lid and freeze for at least 6 hours or overnight.

No comments: