Saturday, July 4, 2009

Malasadas (Hawaiian doughnuts)



Something we always make time for, whenever we're in Hawaii, is to eat the Malasadas - Hawaii's version of donuts. Its origin is actually Portuguese, and brought to Hawaii. They're so awesome, especially when they're piping hot. We order malasadas at the local L & L here in the mainland, but it just doesn't quite taste the same. Someone told us that their recipe comes out of a Pillsbury box. Who knows if that's true, but this morning, the hubby decided to surprise me and my daughter by cooking Malasadas for breakfast. He made sure to keep it a surprise and kept me and my daughter locked up in the bedroom while he was preparing. This was his first time cooking something on his own, and from scratch! And I think he did an awesome job. I helped him sugar the malasadas, but he did all the work himself. He shared the recipe with me and I thought I should include it on here. I'll definitely make him cook these for us again.

1 Tbsp Rapid Rise yeast
1 tsp Sugar
¼ cup Warm water
3 cup Flour
¼ cup Sugar
¼ cup Melted butter
3 Eggs
½ cup Evaporated milk
½ cup Water
Vegetable oil for frying

1) Mix yeast with melted butter, condensed milk, warm water, 3 beaten eggs at room temperature, half of the flour and sugar. Mix well. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Add the rest of the flour, mix well. Let dough rise until it doubles in size.

2) Heat vegetable oil to 375 degrees F. Using a small ice cream scoop, scoop 2 to 3 inch balls of Malasada dough. Cook in vegetable oil until golden brown and cooked through. Set on paper towel to drain oil. Toss malasadas in 1/2 cup sugar mixed with 1/4 cup cinnamon. Serve warm.









(recipe adapted from hawaiianfoodrecipe.wordpress.com)

1 comment:

LC* said...

Hi wondering why is there two sets of water for the Ingredients but no Instructions for both ?