Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup


I was sifting through my crockpot cookbook and found this recipe the other day. Its super yummy. A whole meal in itself. Having the creamy avocado on top makes it even more special. The original recipe didn't call for corn, but I bought a lot of fresh corn the other day from the supermarket so I decided to add some in the soup. Besides, I love corn in anything. I also added more broth than the original recipe because I wanted it more soupy.

This particular crockpot recipe doesn't require a whole day to cook. So I wouldn't use this recipe if I plan on being out all day like my other crockpot recipes. But here is my modified recipe:

4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 cans (15 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cups chicken broth
1 can (4 ounces) chopped mild green chiles, drained
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste

For garnish:
crushed tortilla chips
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 avocado, peeled, diced and tossed with lime juice to prevent from browning

1) Place chicken in crockpot. Combine tomatoes with juice, 1/2 cup chicken broth, chiles, onion, garlic and cumin in a medium bowl. Pour mixture over chicken. Cook on high for 3 hours.

2) Remove chicken from crockpot. Shred with 2 forks. Return chicken to liquid. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add remaining chicken broth and cook for another 30 minutes.

3) Divide soup in bowls. Top with crushed tortilla chips, cheese, avocado and cilantro.


No comments: