Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day weekend grubbin'

This weekend was a pretty busy one. Its the first long weekend that we get to spend with hubby after a long time since school started for him last fall. And to top it off, hubby got straight A's during this tough semester. Therefore, to celebrate, I told hubby I'd take him and my daughter out for breakfast at a beach cafe in Malibu that I had been dying to try.


Paradise Cove Beach Cafe, Malibu. Their outdoor seating is on the sand of the beach itself. We got to eat breakfast while running our toes through the sand and listening to the crashing waves. Reminds me of our times in Hawaii, eating breakfast at a restaurant at the beach and listening to the waves. I guess this is the closest thing we can get to Hawaii for now.

For my meal, I ordered the carrot cake waffles. It tastes just as it sounds - carrot cake. And it was delicious.

Hubby ordered the Huevos con Tortilla dish, which I decided he can share with me ;)

We hung out at the beach for a little bit after breakfast. My daughter wasn't enjoying it all that much. She was scared and hated walking on the sand. So we took a few photos and left. But it was a nice day to be out on the beach.

Later that evening, we went over my parents' house to watch the LA Lakers beat the Phoenix Suns for the Western Conference Championship.

My parents had a spread of all grilled foods - korean bbq, shrimp, oysters and asparagus. Hubby and I decided to bring dessert - Banana Cream Pie and Strawberry Fudge Pie, that I bought at a local diner that I heard had really good Banana Cream Pie. Hubby loves Banana Cream pie, so I thought today would be a good day to try this place out.

On Memorial Day, hubby and I decided to chill at home, since we had been out and about practically all weekend. The beach and my parents house on Saturday, then Chuck E. Cheese on Sunday for my best friend's daughter's birthday.

We decided to have an intimate BBQ dinner at home so I can use my new BBQ grill again. I bought some already-cooked ribs from Costco that I threw on the grill. I also bought a lot of corn last week in the hopes of grilling them this weekend. And I put together some coleslaw for a quick side dish.

For Asians, no meal is complete without rice, so of course, I had to have some on my plate.

It was a beautiful Monday evening. The sun was still out at 6 pm and the weather was still comfortable. The food was great and the company was even better. It was a great end to a great long weekend spent with my loving husband and daughter, and a great start to summer. Can't wait till the next long weekend this summer - 4th of July.


No comments: