Sunday, May 30, 2010

Watermelon Sherbet


My daughter loves watermelon. Maybe its because its all I ate when I was pregnant with her. My husband and I always look back to the time when I sent him out at night to buy just watermelon. Which he was happy to oblige. He always used to say that he'll run out to get whatever I wanted when I was pregnant. *sigh* I miss those days. lol!

Although I miss being spoiled when I was pregnant, I now love spoiling my daughter. Especially with foods she likes to eat. So when I found this recipe from a blog I visited, Proceed with Caution, I had to try it out. I'm glad I did because it tastes just like a frozen watermelon. Its a refreshing treat for this hot weather we're having today. Its definitely a great start for the summer.

3/4 cup sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
5 cups seeded watermelon, chopped
2/3 cup heavy cream
3 drops red food coloring.

1) Puree watermelon in a food processor. Strain liquid through a sieve to catch the juice. Set aside.

2) In the food processor, combine sugar, salt and lime juice. Pulse until sugar looks like wet sand, about 6 times. While food processor is running, slowly pour watermelon juice. Process for about 1 minute to ensure sugar has been dissolved. Strain liquid through a sieve, pour liquid in a bowl, and lace in freezer for about 1 hour.

3) In a chilled bowl, beat heavy cream with a mixer until it reaches soft peak stage. Slowly pour cold watermelon liquid into cream while continuously beating. Add food coloring.

4) Immediately pour into ice cream maker and churn for 30-45 minutes, until the consistency is like soft serve ice cream.

5) Pour sherbet in a container with a tight fitting lid and freeze for at least 3 hours before serving.


No comments: