Monday, September 13, 2010

Crockpot Sloppy Joe's



Hubby would often tell me that his favorite food as a kid that his mom would make was sloppy joe's. I asked him if she had a recipe and he said she used the can mix. Well, I was sifting through my Crockpot cookbook in search of what to cook for dinner and found this one. It was definitely easy to make. I cut the recipe to a quarter because the original recipe served 20-25. Too much for a family of 3. So I've adjusted the recipe. Too bad hubby is at school tonight because this was so good. I have to admit, I haven't had sloppy joe's in ages. Probably not since my elementary school days, eating the cafeteria sloppy joe's. I don't remember sloppy joe's being this good. Hubby will have to wait until lunch tomorrow to try this one out.

1 lb. ground beef (I used ground turkey)
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1/2 (10.74 oz) can condensed tomato soup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp. ketchup
3/4 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp. mustard
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
toasted hamburger buns

1) Brown meat in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring to break up meat. Drain fat and discard.

2) Add onion and bell pepper. Cook 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently, or until onion is translucent and mixture is fragrant.

3) Transfer meat mixture to crockpot. Add remaining ingredients, except buns. Stir until well blended. Cook on low for 4 hours. Serve on buns.




No comments: